How to Order Custom Flanges
Coastal Flange mainly focuses on industry specific flanges such as AWWA, ANSI, ASME and industry standard flanges we also specialize in custom order flanges. With a wide range of industries, shops, and systems dependent upon high performance flanges, custom pipe flanges are essential to getting a job done right. Modified and custom flanges for specialty projects can offer the same quality, inspection requirements, and performance expectations of industry standard components, but offer a particular size, material, or fit for a unique application.
We work with industry leaders and experts across the USA, Canada, Mexico, Latin and South America on a daily basis to provide custom flanges. We also work with clients from Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.
At Coastal Flange we work with customer specifications and project requirements to tailor a product that will ensure success!
How does Custom Flange Ordering Work?
Job shops specializing in custom work often stock large quantities of raw material ready to be crafted into the shape, size, and style of flange a customer requires. This includes modifications on industry standard flanges or unique shapes such as:
- Square Pipe Flanges
- Square OD x Circle ID Flanges
- Flanges with dual bolt patterns
- Flanges with spools between custom layers
- Reduced Flanges (Reduced Weld necks and Reduced Slip-ons)
Using design tools such as AutoCAD, flange specialists can develop prints and designs for clear, precise fabrication, no matter how specialized a project may be.
How to Order a Custom Flange
The first step to ordering a custom flange is to gather as much information as possible about the flange you will need. Include details such as:
- Project Requirements: Pressure class, facing, connection type, pipe size, specifications
- Material Grade
- How many flanges you need
Common Flange Standards and Specifications
Special flanges and fittings and custom forgings can be designed to meet any number of unique specifications and standards. Some common classifications for custom pipe flanges include:
- AWWA, the American Water Works Association
- ASME, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- ANSI, the American National Standards Institute
- CL 125 Lightweight
- Tube Turns
- Large Industry Standard
- Metric System Flanges
Custom Flange Types
Regardless of custom sizing or specifications, the fundamental design of most flanges falls under six common styles created to close, connect, cover, or support pipes and pipe systems.
These flange types include:
- Slip-on Flanges – available in both standard and reduced sizes and both ring and hub style, manufactured to dimensions that will slide over a pipe with a snug fit
- Weld Neck Flanges – available in standard and reduced sizes, manufactured to the inside diameter dimensions of a pipe for attachment via welding
- Blind Flanges – available to seal both pipes and vessels
- Lap Joint Flanges – available in a range of sizes to pair with stub end fittings for easy dismantling
- Threaded Flanges – engineered to fit pipes with external threads for weld-free fits
- Socket-weld Flanges – designed with a socket fit and top weld for ideal inner flow in pipe systems
Material Grades and Performance
Custom pipe flanges can be manufactured from a wide variety of materials and material grades. Carbon steel is a popular solution, as are stainless steel and specialty alloys, depending upon the industry. Plate and forged are also common, as are titanium and aluminum for lightweight jobs.
Q & A about Coastal Custom Orders:
Can Coastal Flange provide assistance with drawings for custom flanges?
Yes. Our ability to manufacture custom flanges does not always depend on an approved print. However, Coastal Flange has personnel experienced in AutoCad and we are able to quickly produce prints of custom flanges. Prints for custom flanges can be used to clarify information or provide an opportunity for the customer to sign a shop print and approve work to begin. With Autocad and our expert staff, custom flanges that conform to the most stringent designs are not a problem.
What about Square Pipe Flanges? Is Coastal Flange capable of manufacturing square custom flanges?
Yes. Coastal Flange has experience manufacturing square pipe flanges with tie rod holes as well as square OD x circle ID flanges for custom applications. Other custom flanges that are commonly made at Coastal Flange include custom flanges with dual bolt patterns and custom flanges with spools between the custom flanges. Coastal Flange also makes custom flanges that are a variation of reducing flanges, including reducing weld necks and reducing slip-ons.