How To Transition From Copper, Polybutylene, PVC or CPVC To Pex
SharkBite transition pipe fittings ensure you get the job done with materials you trust — no matter what the existing pipe type.
Learn how to make fast connections between different pipe types with transition fittings
Connecting PEX to copper? Polybutylene to PEX? PVC to PEX? SharkBite PEX fittings make it easy to transition between pipe types during repairs. Fast, efficient and reliable, our transition fittings are compatible with Polybutylene, PEX, PVC, CPVC, PE-RT and HDPE, and are approved for behind-the-wall installation as well as burial.
No special tools, glue, crimping or soldering is needed – regardless of the pipe types you’re transitioning from/to. If transition pipe fittings are being installed for underground use, wrap with silicone self-adhesive tape before burying.
Choose the right transition connectors based on pipe type
SharkBite PEX transition fittings are designed to work with a specific pipe type – easily identifiable by the collar color:
- Transition fittings with a gray collar are compatible with polybutylene pipe.
- Transition fittings with a white collar are compatible with PVC pipe. These fittings are also compatible with schedule 40, 80 &120 PVC.
- Transition fittings with a tan collar are compatible with PEX, copper, C-PVC, PE-RT & HDPE pipe.
Steps to install push-to-connect transition fittings
Since no special tools are needed, working in tight spaces is faster and easier.
- Identify your pipe material and select the appropriate transition fitting.
- Cut the pipe as cleanly and squarely as possible and ensure the pipe is free of scratches and debris.
- If you are handling copper pipe, remove any sharp edges or burrs.
- Use your SharkBite Depth & Deburr Gauge to measure and mark the di fittings on your pipe.
- Push the fitting to the insertion mark you just made on both pieces of pipe.
- Turn on your water and check the connection.
SharkBite pipe transition connectors give plumbers a fast, efficient and secure way to change between different pipe materials, making sure jobs are completed on time and with quality materials.Browse Transition Fittings